WPA 2015

Primary Care Mental Health:
Innovation and Transdisciplinarity

The Palace of Parliament 

Bucharest, Romania

24 - 27 June 2015

Congress Venue

The Palace of the Parliament (Romanian: Palatul Parlamentului) is a multi-purpose building containing both chambers of the Romanian Parliament. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Palace is the world's largest civilian administrative building, most expensive administrative building, and heaviest building.

Measuring 270 meters wide by 240m long, 86m high and 92 meters underground, the People's Palace is 12 stories tall with at least 8 stories underground levels in varying stages of completion.

Estimates of the materials used include 1 million cubic meters of Transylvanian marble, 3.500 metric tons of crystal for the 480 chandeliers and 1.409 lights and mirrors that were manufactured, 700.000 tons of steel and bronze, 900.000 cubic meters of wood and 200.000 square meters of woven carpets, many of which were spun on site.

The building has about 1,000 rooms: 440 offices, over 30 rooms and salons, 4 restaurants, 3 libraries, 2 underground parking areas and a concert hall.

The rooms and salons inside the Palace of the Parliament have been named after well known personalities and important events in the history of the Romanian people.


In order to upgrade transparency and communication, the International Conference Centre was established on the 6th of May 1994, as a part of the Chamber of Deputies. It has become - over its 16 years of activity - the link between the legislative forum and the civil society.

The International Conference Centre has earned its particular fame by providing generous and elegant spaces and services according to the European standards, granting its membership within the International Association of Congress Centres (AIPC). Its halls can accommodate all types of meetings, varying from congresses and international conferences, to seminars, workshops, exhibitions, fairs, symposiums, concerts and fashion shows, cocktails and dinner parties. Many of such events had a special impact on Romania's image abroad and attested once again the high level of organization and the services offered.

Disposing of 10,000 sqm, the International Conference Centre has 8 conference halls (with a capacity of 50 to 1200 persons) exhibition galleries and foyers.


  • bearing the name of the prince of Wallachia and Moldavia, it was finished before 1989
  • it was meant to be the protocol room at the highest level: “The room where documents and negociations are signed”, the room that would have been called Romania
  • with an Eclectic architecture having as principal element of composition the column with capital in Corinthian style and with the shaft of the column with ornamental motifs characteristic to the Brancovenesque style
  • the columns are of white marble from Ruschita


  • it has a surface of 625 square meters, the meetings of the Political Committee of the old regime were supposed to be held here
  • it is completely paneled with oak, colored in different hues
  • the characteristic of this hall is the module made of two oak pilasters, that are repeated every 6 m on the entire surface of the hall, element specific to the Italian Renaissance
  • the monumental chandelier, made of Medias crystal, is the second in size in the building
  • the architect used in this hall the Renaissance style, inserting traditional artistic elements of the Romanian architecture


  • it bears the name of the great politician, historian, democratic thinker and Romanian revolutionist Nicolae Bălcescu (1819-1852)
  • the pink marble used for thea columns is from Ruschita, while the chandeliers and the brackets designed by the architects are made by the master-painters from Medias
  • this is the only room with non-Romanian material in the whole building, that is mahogany, a very precious wood, out of which the doors were made
  • the mahogany was a gift Ceausescu got from his friend, Mobutu Sese Seko, the president of Zair (today The Democratic Republic of Congo)
  • the modern paintings embellishing the walls are signed by Sever Frentiu - Flori şi mere, Corneliu Brudascu -Trandafiri, Vasile Pantea - Natură statică cu flori, and Ruxandra Popa - Flori de câmp


  • it bears Nicolae Iorga’s name (1871-1940), historian, orator, politician and writer, member of the Romanian Academy, prime-minister in 1930
  • it is decorated with the same essence of wood for the ceiling and walls (predominating: oak)


  • having two patios surrounding it, the brightness of this hall is exceptional, being intensified by the lamps and brackets imitating the chandeliers of the epoch
  • it has a central area with a 42 meters. opening delimited on each side towards the patios by two 6 meters. side naves
  • the central area is separated from the side spaces by a succession of free columns, covered with marble
  • initially it was called The Provinces Hall


  • the lobby, limited by two knots of vertical circulation, has an opening of 42 meters, within two colonnades and two 6 meters side naves
  • the colonnades are of white marble, as well as the framing of the five access doors to Unirii Hall
  • the decoration reminds of the art of the Ancient Orient, with the ceiling and the rest of the stucco elements realized in this manner
  • the ceiling is covered by thin gold, and through its orifices the pure air runs, as Ceausescu, afraid of being poisoned, did not want air conditioned system


  • the name of the hall confirms the birth of România Mare (on December 1st, 1918, the Great Union was carried out at Alba-Iulia)
  • it was designed for the important receptions that would have taken place at high level (its initial name was “Banquet Room”)
  • it is made of a big central nave (18/54m), with a central skylight richly adorned (of moulded aluminium, covered with golden metal) and two side naves (6/42 m), separated by two colonades
  • the columns have flutings in Romanian style, with a Corinthian capital and are made of white marble from Ruschita
  • the walls have plastered mirrors with frames of white Ruschita marble richly adorned
  • the 1.100 square meters carpet, weighing about 5t, covers the whole central part of the hall and was especially designed for this space, having elements taken from the ornaments of the hall